Sunday, July 3, 2022

Changing a shower head

How many mathematicians does it take to change a shower head?

Just one.  That's what I was doing last Sunday at 3:14.

I've been wanting to do this for a while (like, two years, maybe?), and of course for me the difficult part was *STORES* and *buying things*.  For some reason, maybe because my husband is away for a month and I have summer-related freedom in my schedule, I finally broke down and got this baby over here ---> .

What I wanted: (a) something relatively low-flow, to conserve both water and energy, of course; (b) a "pause" button so I could easily stop the flow if I'm doing something like shaving and don't want the distraction of getting pelted with water while I'm doing so, and (c) a hose, so I can use this to help with things like rinsing the shower tub after I clean it.  (When I was a kid, I used to be in charge of bathing our Irish Wolfhounds, who Did Not Want To Be Bathed.  A hose was super helpful for that project, too, but I'm all out of Irish Wolfhounds, dirty or bathed, these days).  


Here's the old shower head:  perfectly functional, but without (b) a pause button or (c) a hose.

Changing a shower head is just as easy as changing a lightbulb -- or, in this case, as easy as changing three lightbulbs.  I took the supplies hanger off of the pipe, unscrewed the old head, and then screwed on three new things:  the holder onto the pipe, the hose onto the holder, and the head onto the hose.

No special tools needed; in fact, the directions specifically caution to not use a wrench.  The first time I screwed the head on it leaked like crazy, but then I unscrewed it and tried again, and it worked like a charm.  

All told, this project took me 20 minutes -- and that includes opening the package, bringing the wrench up from the basement, reading the directions, taking the wrench back to the basement, doing the actual change-over, photographing things, and cleaning up the box and such (the old shower head will go to Habitat Restore. )

A lovely Sunday project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Update, somewhere in January

By now, I'm kind of losing track of which day is which . . . ironic, because of spending so much time on and off of train tracks.  So I&...