Monday, July 4, 2022

3:14, learning about a file upload/shared drive glitch

Last Monday, June 27, at 3:14, I was at my computer, a place I am at a heck of a lot (although it doesn't make for good picture-taking, really). At this particular moment, I was learning about a weird glitch.

I've mentioned before that my college is going to be redoing our webpages. Part of this is that we're going to have essentially two sets of webpages: one set will be for external audiences, and the professionals will actually be managing those. Another set, accessible only with our college username and password, will be an internal set that helps us to navigate things that matter once you're only actually on campus.  

Obviously, the external webpages are more important, so as a temporary hack, I'm trying to move stuff about a committee that I oversee into a shared drive system where I can create temporary webpages for just us that will eventually join the suite of the new internal pages. [Technical geeky side note: my College is going to a "Shared Drive" system (as opposed to "Google Drive with shared folders" -- what a bad naming system!).]

I was most of the way through setting up the Shared Drive, when I ran into a problem. Our committee uses a lot of forms, and when I tried to create a form in the new space, I got this error message:

Forms containing File Upload questions are not currently supported in shared drives. Please remove this form from the shared drive.

Yeesh. So, for now, we're forced to leave the application forms back in the old shared (not shared drive) folder. Until Google can fix this glitch, we'll have some things in the shared drive and other things in the shared folder, which is quite annoying (and confusing).



No comments:

Post a Comment

Update, somewhere in January

By now, I'm kind of losing track of which day is which . . . ironic, because of spending so much time on and off of train tracks.  So I&...