Sunday, October 29, 2023

Tall tales update

Life continues to be rich and tall -- er, I mean rich and full -- here in Enoughsville.  The weather did a winter peekaboo thing this week, with the wind biting into me and numbing all my skin as I rode to the soup kitchen on Tuesday morning, but then warming up so much we opened up the house to let in balmy breezes by the end of the week.  Like, winter peekaboo!  Now it's spring!  Wait, Sunday brought winter back!  

My offspring have done a bunch of traveling, some of them sending the kind of photos that will explain why I could make the tall/full substitution above.

Gosling and Sizzling:  Hi from CN tower yesterday.
Lindsey and mike's Wedding yesterday!

On this trip, Gosling and Colin observed the new family tradition of getting visits from the traveling Covid Fairy, alas.
Went to Canada and all we got was a fun wedding and COVID jkjkjk but we wanted to have a little fun with it.

And where did you go, Inkling?

Inkling:  Sheep and wool festival!!
Sign says: "We are rams. 
If I am letting you pet me, my name is Mr. Silly. 
If I am not, my name is Lucifer. "

I ask:  " Hey, rumors have it you finished your Rhinebeck sweater on time. Photos?"

I finished it around 11pm Friday night,. . .
. . .  then wore it on Saturday 😀

And Kindering and fam, where did you all go, and did it happen to have a tall building you could show me?

Kinderling:  We went to Michigan. Attached is a photo of a lighthouse in lake Michigan :) It's so pretty here!


We are coming back from MI!
Thankful for airports that have play areas!
My guy, without photos to show it, went to our Capitol Building (with nearby tall Washington monument).  He went with a group that was seeking support for Ukraine.  Our Congresspeople sincerely and emphatically reassured the group that they were very much devoted to such support, but then wandered through the underground tunnels to the chambers where they voted for a speaker of the house who opposes such support.  So, alas.

Nelson didn't send photos, but he's happy with how things are working out with his new home.  His good friend Brandon (whose picture I'm going to get soon, right? right?) might help him get a job shoveling snow.  I've heard that snow is a thing that piles up into tall piles and towers a bunch in Minneapolis, so that would be a job with a lot of possibilities!

Me?  I didn't do towers or travel.  I did do a bunch of really fun math research.
The math research I'm doing with my students
is going really well.
I love these chalkboards, which were installed here by my friend.

And also, because sabbatical life is truly amazing, I did a bunch of other cool things:

making a cow smiley pumpkin,
math careers conference,
collecting chestnuts and playing in the grass with the dog,
canning applesauce,
dressing as cows for "dynamic duo day",
reconnecting with former students and adorable kiddos,

and more.  Life is good.

And that's the news from our family, which continues to be wealthy in our adventures.  May you and yours be similarly prosperous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Update, somewhere in January

By now, I'm kind of losing track of which day is which . . . ironic, because of spending so much time on and off of train tracks.  So I&...