Saturday, April 8, 2023

Update tidbits

Life continues to be rich and full of April, here in Enoughsville.  This is going to be a short update, because April-in-Academia is keeping me every bit as on my toes as one would expect. The main events of the week are . . . 

  • My guy went to Glasgow and then returned home.  Aside from digestive woes that plagued him one day of the trip, he had a great time.
  • For the second time this academic year, [his being gone] = [my forgetting about street cleaning days], and therefore it appears that one expense of his international travel is my local parking tickets. Sheesh.  
  • At the beginning of the week, I picked up a copy of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, and by the end of the week, I had devoured it all. It's a page-turner of a book!
  • I made it through 8 hours of zoom candidate interviews this week, and I think we have some totally awesome people to invite to campus.  Better yet, I suspect the hiring committee largely agrees on which people those will be.  
  • A speaker I brought to campus for a Very Big Talk did a great job: he spoke about the fourth dimension and fractal dimensions, and all sorts of non-math people in the audience came up to me afterward to say how their minds were blown, but in a good way.  I'm basking.
  • I think I've caught back up with my grading.
  • But just barely.
  • Our next door neighbors (not surprisingly) have changed their minds about having our compost pile in their backyard.  It was nice to have that option while it lasted, but now I'll have to switch to alternative schemes.  In an absolutely wonderful coincidence of events, in the few short years since we moved to this home a professor at my college organized a series of neighborhood compost collectives -- one of those is just a half block from our house, and the requisite orientation needed to join is just two weeks from now.  I've already signed up.

And, since I want to go spend a bit of time with my recently-returned husband, I'll just wrap it up with that little list of adventures.  May you and yours enjoy April in all its glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Update, somewhere in January

By now, I'm kind of losing track of which day is which . . . ironic, because of spending so much time on and off of train tracks.  So I&...