Sunday, April 2, 2023

March ends with a birthday sandwich of a week

Life continues to be rich and full here in Enoughsville. This week, my life was mostly full of job applications. Don't worry; I'm not applying for jobs – rather, I'm reading job applications and interviewing other people who are applying for jobs.  I'm on the search committee both for a VIP campus and also for an editor for a national math journal. Yes, I am aware that I hold the fate of other people in my own hands! At any rate, I spent a lot of time this week thinking about other people's futures and whether those futures might overlap with that of my favorite math journal or the college I've loved working at so much.

There was so much to do with job applications, in fact, that I actually read  candidate's applications on Sunday! I try hard not to use the computer on Sunday, and rather to observe a weekly Internet sabbath.  The double-extra-special reason not to do work last Sunday was that it was my birthday!  But the pile of stuff to read was so large, and my upcoming week was so full, that I decided a birthday present to myself was to promise never to spend my birthday like that again -- and then I dove in and read and read and read.

Prewash wonders when I'll be done reading.
(If you look hard, you can see an electric canner box
through the doorway!)

But I also had fun. I got lovely cow cards, and I also got two different kinds of electric canners, and I'm sure I'll be writing more about those in the future!


Somehow, in spite of the extra work, I finally finished reading a 400-and-something-page book called "The Pencil". It was an amazingly fun book; the author really  geeked out (and helped me do likewise) about the engineering, chemistry, business, and cultural issues surrounding an object that we overlook even while it's so instrumental to so much that we do.  I highly recommend the book!

Speaking of finishing, Inkling just finished her latest round of socks, and just barely made it into this next round of Sock Madness. Way to go, Inkling!

My completed Round 2 SockMadness socks 🎉

I got the second-to-last spot on my team!

In between reading, teaching, and interviewing, I got to appreciate the increasingly beautiful weather. Some of the trees on our campus have started to flower – there are some tulip magnolias that are really just delightful to look at.  

When the sun comes out and the skies are blue,
I love to get right under the tree and look straight up through the branches.

Other trees have just barely started to put forth buds, and I'm keeping an eye on those trees, too.

The week began with my birthday; it ended with A-child's birthday. Kinderling threw a lovely, flower-themed birthday party that I very much enjoyed going to, although I forgot to take pictures. Afterwards, Kinderling let us know that the youngest granddaughter is getting a head start on learning how to hunt Easter eggs.

Question: why is an Easter egg like a key ring?

Answer: because they both go in your mouth!

 As for my guy, he came home from Indiana, and then he took off for Glasgow. So that's what he's up to!

And that's the news from our family, which continues to be wealthy in our adventures. May you and yours be similarly prosperous.


1 comment:

  1. Happy belated birthday to you and A-child!

    Love those socks! And I love when friends share blooms, thanks for the tulip magnolias. Friends up north have shared cherry blossoms getting ready to burst into bloom, it's so lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Update, somewhere in January

By now, I'm kind of losing track of which day is which . . . ironic, because of spending so much time on and off of train tracks.  So I&...