Monday, November 7, 2022

Rubbish Rescue: Hallway mirrors

As many row houses in my little city do, our upper floor has a very long and rather dark hallway. It's illuminated (if you could call it that) by a single overhead light toward one end and by whatever natural light might happen to escape through the several doors that lead into the hallway. Eventually, I'd like to add more light fixtures, but in the meanwhile I've been enhancing what little light there is by adding mirrors here and there.

The red-framed mirror
on the right side of this image 
was left at the curb by a neighbor.  

Even with the one overhead light turned on,
the hallway is pretty dark.

In the photos above, you can easily see the big red-framed mirror which we've had for a while now, but you can barely see my latest mirror additions: two rectangular mirrors next to the door at the far end of the hallway.  They don't look like much, but they've made a big difference in the cheeriness and visibility of the hallway already.  

Getting closer:
two mirrors in a small space.

These two mirrors had originally been part of a three-mirror ensemble, probably part of a cabinet, hinged together so that these two could swing out from the larger middle mirror.   The middle mirror was missing from its frame -- probably broken.  I disassembled the set, saving the hinges for future awesome projects, and focused on the two good mirrors, which happened to be a lovely size for that very small strip of wall.
They fit so nicely in this space!

The frames were black, which is NOT a "me" color. Nopers.  I thought about repainting them a solid color, but couldn't decide on which one.  Eventually, I decided to go decorative, using the black as a background with a couple of other, lighter paint colors to add texture and pattern.
The top mirror frame is vine-like;
the bottom one is twisted strands.

One of the advantages of hanging homemade artwork in a very dark corner of the house is that no-one can see the mistakes.  Heh.  And since hardly any guests ever make it this far into the home, the main advantage is that *I* can't see my mistakes.   (Lovely!).

However, I can see my way down the hallway better than before, and that's a bit of extra happiness around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Update, somewhere in January

By now, I'm kind of losing track of which day is which . . . ironic, because of spending so much time on and off of train tracks.  So I&...