Thursday, May 26, 2022

Re, the recycling bin.

Our recycling bin disappeared last month.  We'd put it out with our recycling, as we do about once a month or so, and when we came out in the morning, it was gone. (So was the recycling).  

What on earth happened?  Multiple theories abound:

  1. A giant wind blew it away. (Contradictory evidence: there was no wind, and all of the other recycling bins up and down the street were still present and accounted for.) 
  2. Someone stole it. (Contradictory evidence: it's very easy to get recycling bins for free, and this recycling bin in particular was beaten up and starting to fall apart, so probably not high on people's wish lists.)
  3. The recycling people took it, because it was so beaten up, it was easier to toss in the truck as-is than to empty and replace. (This is our pet theory.)
My neighbors pointed out that we could get a replacement from the county waste management system, but since I don't like bringing new plastic into my life when I can find more eco-friendly alternatives, of course I opted for Plan B: make my own.  

I haven't done a painting project in foreffer, and even though it would be perfectly fine to have a regular old cardboard box as a recycling bin, I decided to make a recycling bin that would be beautiful. Well, at least, beautiful to me.

I began with a large box rescued from work. I think it had been used to ship masks to our campus. Prewash and I brought it home one hot and muggy day, and I set to work on transforming it.

A handle!!! It's very . . . handy.

Heat guns help to remove stickers. 
(Probably not necessary, since I painted the box, but fun).

Not shown:  cutting recycling stencils out of newspaper.

Newspaper stencil in three pieces, 
stuck on with (magic) water!!

Paint the box green, over the stencil.  

Remove the newspaper stencil.  ooh!  looks good!

Adding cow spots, so that the recycling bin matches the house.
Very important to be "matchy matchy".  

Add a ferocious guard dog to protect the recycling bin.
(Anyone who comes close gets covered in dog hair.)


Now we're ready to put out recycling again, when we eventually need to.  Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Update, somewhere in January

By now, I'm kind of losing track of which day is which . . . ironic, because of spending so much time on and off of train tracks.  So I&...