Sunday, May 29, 2022

Family update: inside and out

Life continues to be rich and full here in Enoughsville.  This is a week of inside and out, the most dramatic instance of which involved a sewer drain outside our basement door overflowing . . . into the basement.  (Yuckers).  A plumber managed to fix the problem [cross fingers!!!] by sending cameras into various pipes and giving a gentle nudge in just the right place.  We may end up splurging on a fancy new sewer trap, thereby becoming the envy of all our neighbors.  Don't be too jealous, yourself!

Prewash likewise got checked out inside and out, and it looks like her insides are more mysterious than our sewer pipes, since she's going to go for a follow-up ultrasound next week.  She acts like she's in perfect health, but her lab tests (heh -- she's not really a lab!) apparently merit a follow up.  More on that next week.

I, too, got to go visit my doc for the annual Celebration of Health, and all the tick-boxes on the check-up were deemed boringly but pleasantly copacetic.   OfSnough didn't get a full-body inside/out check-up, but he did contribute to the overall health theme by getting re-boosted.  It made him a little sore and achy early in the week, but by the end he was back to packing boxes of medical supplies to ship to Ukraine.

With all of that going on, I am very happy to be enjoying a few of the small pleasures that come with May.  Our vegetable box came with garlic scapes (yay!!!!!!).  I've made a pint of garlic scape pesto, and I'm just giddy about it. 

We're also enjoying the front porch, with our new neighbors, who we've now identified as mourning doves (thanks, Rozy!).   Mourning doves look a lot like, and are often confused with, turtle doves, and that's what Y thought these birds were.  But it's not the second day of Christmas, so . . . well, any way, I was delighted that Y shared this beautiful song with me, adding

One of my friends from college wrote a lovely song with this bird as the title that I’d also like to share. He was a Chem major and now works for BMS in NJ (which is where my mom worked as a chemist until retirement last year)…


And another thing that May brings, every couple of years, is college reunions.   I was "elected" (roped into being) the fund raising chair: a title I immediately changed to "Fun Raising Chair".  I'm writing this from the dining hall of my campus, after having spent a weekend re-connecting with people I knew for a very short -- but very meaningful -- time in my life, and it's such a joy to be back here. 

A small piece of a campus that feels like "mine",
even though I was only here a few years, really.

And that's the news from our family, which continues to be wealthy in our adventures.  May you and yours be similarly prosperous.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Update, somewhere in January

By now, I'm kind of losing track of which day is which . . . ironic, because of spending so much time on and off of train tracks.  So I&...