Saturday, March 12, 2022

Cheery news update

Life continues to be rich and full here in Enoughsville, with all kinds of cheery news rolling my way.

Sock madness has started, to Inkling's delight.  After last week's whirlwind tour of many Broadway shows, she came home to a local high school production of Wizard of Oz, where she happened to get to meet with a Broadway celebrity here on our own turf.  Inkling says, "Guess what!?! I met Jonathan Groff tonight! And he held my sock for a photo 😁🧦"

And more, because she knows I'm not exactly up-to-date on the celebrity scene: "Fyi Mama, he played the king in the original cast of Hamilton. (Plus a bunch of other tv/movie roles.)"

Me:  "I can see why he'd be in so many shows. He's got a lot of socks appeal."

Another awesome visitor to our home town is our native son, Nelson.  He got to meet up with friends and hang out with family for a few days.  On Thursday night, per his request, we had waffles for dinner (plus muffins, including some "I spotted a bear" chocolate-chip-teddy-bear-shaped muffins).  And then we went to the theater to see an amazing performance of Sound of Music

And then . . . sigh . . . Nelson went back to Minnesota.  It was so good to have him here, that I admit I was a tiny bit weepy on Friday, due to the combo of lack of sleep and missing my kiddo.  However, I'm gladdened that in MN he's got a loving sister to dote on him, who can show off her new vehicle:

2022 Triumph Tiger 900 Adventure Bike

I almost wrote, "who can show off her new baby", but Sizzling introduced the photo by saying, "Not a baby but...new bike...who dis".  And the reason she introduced it that way is because, a day or so before, we'd gotten this . . . 


Kinderling:  

"So, because A-child already spilled the beans unintentionally and completely randomly....

Everyone has been having the BEST and AMAZING news recently, and I'm loving all of it!!! <3
Here is our exciting news <3

We are still early on, so I wanted to wait a little but.... in case we all see A-child again 🤣😅"

Me:  "I'm going to be a Nanana!

Okay, now my friends and I are having debates about this. Is it pronounced like "Nana" with another "na": NAna-na", or like "banana": "naNAna"? Very important discussions happening here in the dean's office!"

At work, things have been . . . not light, but definitely a much more comfortable pace, probably because we're on the verge of our spring break.  I'm always grateful for the chance to pause mid-semester, even though the pause never quite feels as substantial as we expect it will feel.   It's a chance to catch up (a bit), and to pivot (a bit). 

And as for pivoting, two years ago on March 10, our college president sent out a note to all of campus saying that because of news of the spread of Covid-19, the college would be prohibiting travel.  This sent us into a tizzy: our students were planning to submit talks for a math conference: what if those talks got accepted, but it left a hole in the conference schedule?  (Oh, how little we knew!).

The next day, we got a follow-up note from the administration, saying that, "First, we should not overreact."  And then, that our classes were going to be "conducted online or via other alternative modes through at least April 3".   Little did I know then that I wouldn't step into a physical classroom containing actual physical students for more than a year from that announcement.

This year, almost exactly two years to the day later, our campus has declared that after spring break we will be mask-optional and also "mask-friendly".  (This latter means that we are to carry a mask with us at all times, and that we are expected to obligingly put it on if someone else in the room requests it).    When we come back from break, it's likely to be the first time in two years that I'll be in the same room with my students' faces.  I'm very much looking forward to it.

And that's the news from our family, which has lots of good news rolling in, with more good stuff to look forward to.   May you and yours stay safe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Update, somewhere in January

By now, I'm kind of losing track of which day is which . . . ironic, because of spending so much time on and off of train tracks.  So I&...