Saturday, June 10, 2023

Enough with photos

Life continues to be rich and full here in Enoughsville.   There's so much going on -- for example, fun math stuff.  (One day this week, I woke up to do an early-morning zoom call with two grad students in Calcutta, India, then followed that up with a zoom call with my collaborator who is spending the year in France, and then helped a new mathematician move into our department, and then did more of my own math . . . I've had some seriously fun mathy days, I'm telling you!)

There's also so much more.  I tried to take photos to help me remember all the stuff that's going on, so here's a bit of my week in photos.  

Inkling bought tickets to the ball game last Sunday.  In the not-so-distant past, spending a whole afternoon sitting in the stands doing nothing would have made me very twitchy, because of all the work on my plate.  This trip, though, I was only mildly twitchy to get back to my math.  So, I guess my transition to sabbatical has begun!

The home team won, and we had a great time hanging out together in the stands,
moving from shade to shade as the sun kept traveling around.

From Gosling:  "We are about a mile from the 4x4 beach with the horses,
so I walked up about 2 miles and found these guys and gals."
Also from Gosling:  Apparently, it is a bad idea to squirt
yourself in the eyeball with Tide Pods.
Also bad to speed near a cop on the way home from the hospital.
Fortunately, it sounds like everyone is fine now. 



My dog keeps finding new members of the
Prewash Fan Club.

Wrestling a soccer ball away from a young fan club member.
Ten new (well, new-to-us) volleyballs,
with one pre-loved ball on the floor.
I am so grateful to our volleyball team for
tenderizing these balls for my dog,
to make it easier for her to play with them.


This is where I did a lot of my mathematics early in the week
(before the wildfire smoke moved me indoors).  
The ambient noise of being outdoors helps distract me from 
my ringing ears.

I visited my dad to help him move between
a large and a small storage unit.

I am not very good at grabbing selfies with my dad.


It's "Water Week" in my city, and I spent one morning
helping other neighbors clean up a river in our local watershed.

It's a beautiful little river!  And this year, fortunately,
there really wasn't very much trash here.  

We had a few really hazy and smoky days toward the end of the week, but then our skies cleared again.  I'm incredibly grateful for that, while simultaneously appreciating how lucky I am to be in a place where smoky days are rare.  

The young Haitian man I stay in touch with (Xavier) had surgery on his foot on Wednesday, and it sounds like the operation went smoothly and successfully; he'll have a six-month recuperation, but hopefully he'll be back on his feet again -- literally -- soon.

Nelson at work, helping customers.

Nelson got to travel to a basketball tournament this week.  When I called him, he was on the way back home, driving (actually, his friend was driving) through a rain storm in Iowa.  We could use a rain storm here, but his own rainstorm meant I didn't get to chat with him for very long.

Also, my grandchild (Bchild) turned three this week,
so I made her a three-thing, which I'll just plunk down here,
but explain a bit more next week after she gets to open it!

And that's the news from our family, which continues to be wealthy in our adventures.  May you and yours be similarly prosperous.

1 comment:

  1. Please tell Prewash that there's a chapter of the fan club out here in the Bay Area!

    The Tide pods accident sounds terrifying - anything to do with possible injury to the eye does 😬 Glad all was well in the end.

    Happy new week!

    ReplyDelete

Update, somewhere in January

By now, I'm kind of losing track of which day is which . . . ironic, because of spending so much time on and off of train tracks.  So I&...