Saturday, May 27, 2023

Ringing in the new/old ear

Life continues to be rich and full here in Enoughsville. This week, as I make my way further into my sabbatical, I'm still ringing in a new era, while still ringing in my ears (sigh). 

My ears are still a little bit stuffed up, despite taking the Flonase, and I don't know if that's the reason that I continue to have so much tinnitus, which is a little disorienting and distracting.  The doc says it might take a few weeks for my ears to unclog, and I hope hope hope that the ringing goes away with the ear clog, because man; I usually love to be in an empty, quiet room, but this week that has been exactly the worst place for my head.  Websites I've read say there's no cure, but that Cognitive Behavioral Therapy might help, as does having white noise.  I'm not sure about the first, but I've been trying a bunch of white noise apps, and they seem to help, as does spending time walking around outdoors.

Early this week I got to drive (in our old beater car, which has lots of good noise to help my poor head) down to Delaware to visit one of my childhood friends. We spent the day chatting and walking around and generally catching up, and it was very good to see her, her mom, her younger sister, and her niece.



As for the rest of the week, I've been trying to find mildly noisy--but not too noisy--places to work.  I figured out some things about math that made me really happy, and I practiced the "Thriller" dance with about a dozen friends, and I attended a bunch of events that my city has hosted, including one on human rights, and I spent a bunch of time pulling together all of my future want-to-do topics in a giant heap, and then sorting them out into appropriate piles so that I can plan for the future. It feels like May (which I always think of is not really existing) is coming to an end, and in June I'll actually really start doing things again. So maybe it's good that my ear congestion is hitting now, instead of next month. We'll see.

At any rate, that's an abbreviated version of my news, cut short so I can turn on the radio and distract myself again. Wishing you a lovely Memorial Day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Update, somewhere in January

By now, I'm kind of losing track of which day is which . . . ironic, because of spending so much time on and off of train tracks.  So I&...