Saturday, May 6, 2023

Birthday cleansings

Life continues to be rich and full here in Enoughsville.  This week we've been particularly rich in birthdays!

We know how to do birthdays right in this house, that's for sure.  You might remember that I celebrated my birthday back in March by reading job applications (whee!).  Well, for my husband's birthday earlier this week I stayed up late giving my students a final exam (there's the life!).  And my guy, during his big day, he had all the very special food and drink that goes with colonoscopy prep.   Don't be jealous, peeps!

Gosling made this card; I love it!

The lovely follow-up to his big day included special photos that reassured us all that my guy is beautiful on the inside, too.  The shiny, silver bow on all of this came when we got the results of some early blood work tests; the physical discomfort he'd been experiencing was apparently the result of a parasite.  Since we'd both been imagining much more significant and severe diagnoses, this result actually delighted my husband, and he's happily sharing the news with anyone who appreciates scatalogical humor.  

We followed up OfSnough's celebrations with further festivities of a more traditional variety, heading out to dinner at a local restaurant and a fabulous show at our local theater to celebrate Inkling's birthday.  Although, come to think of it, the show we watched was the musical Titanic, which (spoiler alert) has a very unhappy ending.  I think Inkling shed more tears with her celebration than OfSnough at his, so maybe in the future I should just give her a math test and a gallon jug of special juice for her birthday instead.  

At any rate, with my exam behind me, I've graded exams and papers, and I've submitted my grades.  So that's over and done now!  I've also completely packed up my office, and moved everything into my new sabbatical office, which will need a bit of unpacking and arranging, but is already in pretty serviceable shape.  

Doing Cow-gebra with a friend:
123 cows + ? cows = 247 cows.

I'm getting ready to enter my sabbatical, and the timing of this transition is lovely.  We're entering my favorite season of the year.  Other people (including many of my friends) love this time of year because of the weather, and I won't disagree.  The cold weather we've been having is giving way to short-sleeve weather, and it's fab for being outdoors. 

See the runners in the distance?

This was from a fun event we did this week.

But I think the part of early spring that I look forward to the most is not the weather (which I love), but rather the yard sales and Free-for-alls that pop up all over my city now that May has arrived.  I've picked up odds and ends as I walk around; I also appreciate seeing all the amazing and wonderful things the world has that I decide I just don't need more of -- I've got enough, and that's a place of contentment, for which I appreciate reminders.  

Achild gets into the act, offering her own yard sale.

On a complete side note, that I can't figure out how to segue into, apparently my son-in-law makes donuts.  They are beautiful donuts and I think I need to experience them up-close-and-personal someday.


And so we've got donuts and yard sales and new offices to arrange; we've got clean bills of health, and lovely weather to enjoy it in.  Life is good.  And that's the news from our family, which continues to be wealthy in our adventures (inside and out).  May you and yours be similarly prosperous.


1 comment:

  1. Y'all really do know how to throw a birthday party ;)

    Those donuts look TASTY.

    ReplyDelete

Update, somewhere in January

By now, I'm kind of losing track of which day is which . . . ironic, because of spending so much time on and off of train tracks.  So I&...