Saturday, April 22, 2023

Update with food fun

Life continues to be rich and full here in Enoughsville.  It's April!  in Academia!  So much is going on. 

In between teaching (we're getting close to the end of the semester) and interviewing job candidates and prize selection committees and all sorts of other stuff I'm doing, I had a bunch of fun food things.   Monday was our college's "Edible Books" gathering, and I offered up Calcu-lox by Jams Stew Art (a not particularly good pun on "Calculus by James Stewart").  You know, it wasn't the most awesome entry there, but I was really glad to get the chance to participate at all.  

If you squint hard and then believe,
the bagels spell "integral of f(x) dx". 

On Tuesday, which was tax day, we got to celebrate our annual "Money dinner".  I didn't take pictures, but A-child drew an adorable one on the chalkboard, and I'll try to snag that for a future newsletter.  (I'm kinda still playing catch up).  Speaking of which, on Wednesday, I played that fun game, Catch-up with Committee Work, while my husband and Inkling went to NYC.  On Thursday and Friday, I went to the dance concert with Inkling, and I also got to complete the "food" cycle by getting an orientation for our local compost collective.  I'm sure I'll get to write more about that fun group in the future, too! 

Compost Collective orientation.

And today, since I kind of magically had no grading, I got to run with friends, do a church clean up that just might have enabled me to snag a suit of armor for our dungeon, and played in the park with Prewash and a young friend for a couple of hours.  So, that's me. 

Kind of along the compost/eco lines, I forgot to share some of my favorite pics that Gosling sent a few weeks ago, but Earth Day seems to be a great time to look at Goats At Work:

Colin has goats and sheet clearing brush and ivy for the next couple days

Another cool Eco (and frugal) adventure came from OfSnough.  He wrote to me last weekend as I was returning from my math conference:

When you get home there will be a new bike hanging in the basement. I traded the red/black single-speed bike at Common Wheel for a green single-speed road bike.

I missed the red single speed I had in Iraq since it was stolen. [Our bike shop] had a green steel single-speed. I think I am far enough along in your way of thinking that it seemed ludicrous to have ANOTHER bike. So I thought about it then offered to swap. The [mountain] bike I bought three years ago is newer and a more popular style. So the owner said yes and we traded. No money exchanged, both of us with a bike we wanted. 

It really is fun to ride. Our total bike count is the same.

Our "new" (to us, at least) vehicle.

And Inkling's eco/frugal adventure was to stock up on Library books just before our local library closed.  (It's not closing forever -- just moving to a new location). 

My last visit to the [Old] Street library

Also, she got behind in Sock Madness because of an alternative (impressive) knitting project:
Finished the tee in 10 days!

And she had great fun in NYC knitting AND seeing shows.  Indeed, she even suffered a theater injury when an evil armrest reached out and punched her in the leg as she was trying to slide past it.

NYC! (Broadway + knitting a garment in the garment district), and
Souvenir bruise

And that's the latest news from our family, which continues to be wealthy in our adventures.  May you and yours be similarly prosperous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Update, somewhere in January

By now, I'm kind of losing track of which day is which . . . ironic, because of spending so much time on and off of train tracks.  So I&...