Saturday, March 18, 2023

Update in the Round, during the week of Pi Day.

Life continues to be rich and full here in Enoughsville, as we wind up a week that has been one kind of holiday after another:  this past week has included the day that clocks change, Pi Day, the Ides of March, spring break, and (unofficial, but just as wonderful) trips and visits.  

Spring break and clock changes -- together with amazingly cold and windy mornings -- combined to give me two excuses for sleeping in late.   Normally, I'm up before 6, but this week there have been several days when I woke at 7:30 or even (get this!) 8:00.  It's been decadent, I tell you!

Monday was not one of those days.  Monday, my husband and I drove to Secaucus and from there took the train into New York, where I got to visit the Museum of Mathematics, a place I'd long wanted to see. I toured the museum with one of my former students, who was every bit as curious and engaged as I remembered from when he was in my class. We had a lot of fun solving puzzles together and playing on the equipment. Ever since I saw it, I wanted to ride the square-wheeled tricycle, and Andrew and I had a blast going around and around on the bumpy road, whose bumps were spaced just right for the corners of the wheels.  

Yee-haw!

I also got to sit on an incredibly fun chair (if you can call it a 'chair'), whose base was shaped a bit like a child's top, and that had me going around in different ways.  

Whee!!
And there were logic mazes, and magic squares, and video screens that allowed you to turn yourself into fractal trees.
What did the acorn say when it grew up?
Gee; I'm a tree!  (Geometry!)

I mentioned that this is a place I'd long wanted to visit, and I'm very glad that I finally got the chance, and also that I got to go with someone who enjoyed it with me. I don't think it's worth the time and expense of making it another day trip, but if I happen to be in NYC again, I could imagine splurging to go back.  

The best part of the week was hanging with family.   For example, I got to spend an evening with my two older grandkids.  I haven't yet seen C-child in person this week, but I've seen a photo of her in a gnome cap that Inkling knit, and both the hat and the child are adorable. 


Side note: A year or so ago, I'd gathered up large amounts of paper-hole punch discards to make confetti horns, horns that we could use someday in a future celebration.  This week I learned that I should -- if I ever happen to gather up a similar stash again -- store it on a shelf that is much higher than B-child can reach.  She had a blast making it snow all over my command center, and, yes, it was very funny, and yes, I'm still finding little round white snippets of paper to remind me how much fun a child can have when a grown-up's back is turned.  

C-child thinks that's very funny.
At any rate, that's a bit of what I did when we got back from New York:  spent time with grandkids and then with my vacuum cleaner.

My husband, when he got home from New York, turned around and went back to New York for some shopping, and look what he got!  (Or rather, who he got!)

It's Nelson!!  

Nelson is visiting from Minnesota for a while.  And because he's here, and because she could get away from work just briefly, Gosling drove up to visit, too!  It was good to get to see her, we all of us thought-- including Prewash, who gets extra dog treats whenever Gosling's around.


The one Snoughling I usually get to see, I didn't this week, because she's at the big square dance festival.  

But tomorrow night, we'll have our (nearly) annual Zoo Dinner, with lots and lots of us here, and I'll get to have many people around, which is delightful.  And then the semester will roar back into existence for six more weeks.

And that's the news from our family, which continues to be wealthy in our adventures.  We wish you hugs and kisses.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Update, somewhere in January

By now, I'm kind of losing track of which day is which . . . ironic, because of spending so much time on and off of train tracks.  So I&...