Saturday, October 29, 2022

Update with enough apples

Life continues to be rich and full here in Enoughsville. This week, it feels like a theme might be "If life gives you apples, make applesauce" . . . although maybe it just feels like that because I just finished turning three bags of apples into 33 quarts of applesauce. 

Behold the bags:  June-my-running-buddy picks them up from a local orchard.  

In giant plastic bags, alas. 
Someday I'll figure out how to get this in reusable cloth . . .

I've started keeping stats on this process.  
year20182019202020212022
# bags33463
dateOct 17Oct 26Oct 12Oct 23Oct 25
cost$30$54$45
people who helpedMary, BethMaryme, Nelson, Ofsnoughme, Inkling, Maryjust me
time3.5 hours3 hours4.5 hours5.5 hours5 hours
quantity, me3 quarts applesauce, 15 qts sliced apples, 4 qts juice17 qts applesauce36 qts and 6 pts applesauce43 quarts, 14 pts33 quarts
quantity, for others20 3/4-pt jars12 3/4-pt jars24 pts
notes to selfand lots of apples left!baking applies in the oven better than cooking on stovealso 4 gallons vinegarinstant pots are amazing: steam 1 minuteyes instant pots! make great applesauce

So, this year, after 5 hours of chopping and instant-potting and immersion-blendering and boiling, this is what the three bags of apples turned into. 
What an array!

From this angle, it looks like it goes on forever . . . 

And up close, close enough to feel the heat radiate
as the jars cool.

I've also made something other than lemonade from lemons that life gave me:  brined lemons.  I had been searching around for a way to make the lemons and limes last longer after our annual Pirate Dinner.  (We get them for the Pirate Dinner to help prevent scurvy, of course, but people don't eat them, so they mostly serve as decoration and conversation pieces.  If you get scurvy, don't blame me!).  I found a recipe for "preserved lemons" that reminds me a lot of making sauerkraut, but with lemons instead of cabbage: basically, chop the lemons, coat them in salt, and submerge for a while.  The result is a really interesting condiment: more like olives than like what I normally think of as fruit, but I like it.
Preserved lemons, very briny.

And pretty, too.

Alas, here is a metaphorical lemon that I don't have any idea how to make palatable: the terrible situation in Haiti.  I read vague news reports of mayhem and request for outside help.   I also keep in contact with Xavier, and his WhatsApp messages are believable (given the news) and incomprehensibly horrible, especially compared to my own cushy life.

I mentioned to him that Kinderling is very close to having her third child.  

X:  Hi mommy. It's great to hear that you are doing well!! And I see Kinderling on Facebook. That's a blessing for her mom. May God continue to bless her. For me, down here things are going crazy here.

Me: What's happening?

X:  Mom! Haiti is about to come by its finishing, mom. No one can survive the country. Have about six, almost 7,  month lock. We can't find gas, food or more right now we can't find water. Everything's are expensive – no school, nothing, work everything closed.

Me:  That's so hard. I remember how precious water was when I visited. I'm sorry it's worse now.

X:  Mom!! Things are going worst. We can't even go out. Every day, tires are burning in the whole country. I feel like it's the last year for us to leave. As I tell you, nothing work, people are starting to die by anger, almost all the people start to leave the country. Things are going crazy, mom; people are shooting people. Worst things mom.

Me: This hurts me to hear. I believe you. It must be scary. 
 
X: not only scary mom, more than that, mommy. I don't know what to do.

So, I get these messages and feel bad for Xavier (and everyone in Haiti, really), and remember to be extra grateful for the miracle of clean water and streets without burning tires and light switches and the incredible blessing of being able to spend 5 hours on an October Saturday making applesauce that I'll get to enjoy all year.  

And here is even more to be grateful for: Nelson called (as he does most Saturdays).  He is very happy because his glucose numbers continue to come down, which is good in-and-of-itself, but is even more encouraging because it is a sign that he's doing a better job of making wise life choices.   He says he's been realizing that he asks himself, "WWMS?" (What would Mom say?).   I thought that was especially lovely, and asked him what he answers:  what would mom say?  He says, "Don't give up; keep up the hard work, and keep going."  I like that:  he's got a pretty danged good mom, I think!

And to put the cherry (or preserved lemon) on the top, he's found that on November 8 he'll be able to start signing up for group homes.   We don't know yet when he'll actually get to move in, but it's nice to have the hope and encouragement that comes with this next step.   I love hearing the smiles in his voice -- we agreed that next week, we'll try to zoom so we can see faces.  

OfSnough has spent much of this week in Boston at the IEEE meeting; I'm looking forward to seeing him again soon, if only briefly:  I think his next trip is Tuesday, to France.   Ah, well, more applesauce for me!

And that's the news from our family, which continues to be wealthy in our adventures.  May you and yours live apple-y ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Update, somewhere in January

By now, I'm kind of losing track of which day is which . . . ironic, because of spending so much time on and off of train tracks.  So I&...