Sunday, July 17, 2022

Update with hats, drums, balls, brooms, and math

Life continues to be rich and full here in Enoughsville.  The latest news is that my husband has a new hat.  Mostly, a person would not want a new knit hat in July, but OfSnough is over the moon about this particular one.  Behold!


As the photo shows, it is a lovely hat to complement his volunteer work assembling medical supply kits for Ukraine, but there's even more good stuff: it has two additional lovely features that the photo above doesn't show.  The first feature is that this is a design created by, and knitted by, our very own Inkling -- in fact, it's the first article of clothing she's ever knit for OfSnough.   The second feature is that if you fold down the brim, the hat contains a dirty word with a pointed message.
He has posted this on Facebook and already had multiple people asking "how much to get one for myself?"  My adept daughter, who prefers to knit for pleasure, set the bar at $60.    Good for her.

Nelson doesn't have a new hat, nor is he knitting them as far as I know, but he is thriving where he's at; here's a lovely still of him drumming at church.


As for me, I bought a motorcycle.  Or rather, I've sent along some money to Haiti, where X-son will get to buy a motorcycle that he might -- cross-fingers -- be able to use to give other people rides, and thereby earn some money.  (For those who don't remember, X-son is a young man we attempted to adopt from Haiti until bureaucracy and corruption forced us to abandon that route, and instead just focus on supporting him where he was.)  He and I have been chatting by WhatsApp often, which is quite a stretch of technology for me. He was surprised that my own children don't talk to me anywhere nearly as often as he does (but kids-o'-mine, I think but generally I'm pretty satisfied with hearing from you when there's news or cute photos; I don't need to text every day!).  

When I'm not buying motorcycles in foreign countries, I'm gearing up for the new academic year, but doing so at a leisurely pace.  Last Saturday, for example, this is what I was doing at 3:14:  making photocopies of stuff in our very, very empty mathematics building.  Prewash loves trips to this building.  She tears back and forth along the long hallway with her deflated volleyball.   Pure joy!


And Sunday last, at the same time, Prewash and I were with our young friend G., "cleaning" the special space we'd "discovered" the week before.  Our mathematics building used to have its main entrance facing the street.  Now, that former entrance has been turned into a giant window, with a new main entrance on the opposite side of the building.
Some metaphor about closing a door and turning into a window.

The spot where the entrance used to be is now a shady, pleasant spot, although a bit covered in leaves and moss, and G wanted to clean it up so we could have a party there.  The cleaning was not exceedingly effective at actual cleaning, but it was great at occupying us both enough to give his mom some alone time.  

I've been doing some much more effective cleaning, sorting, and labeling of our college house store room, spending a few hours each day, and I think the culmination of these efforts are in sight.  I'm looking forward to showing off for my co-worker B when she returns. 

I've also been cranking out the mathematics. I'm working on three different math projects at once (!). I am a very happy person.

And that's the news from our family, which continues to be wealthy in our adventures. May you and yours be similarly prosperous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Update, somewhere in January

By now, I'm kind of losing track of which day is which . . . ironic, because of spending so much time on and off of train tracks.  So I&...