Sunday, July 24, 2022

Update: packing it up, packing it in

Life continues to be rich and full here in Enoughsville.  Corn season is upon us, which is a great reason for rejoicing. 



(And also, for flossing!).  

OfSnough has been throwing himself into his volunteer work, a source of joy for him and those around him, as you can see from these photos.  

I wrote in a previous family update that I'd resigned my Associate Dean job; I'm one of four people in my eight-person office who has left this year.  Well, Monday of this week, the president of our college wrote to say there's a fifth "resignation":  my (former) boss.  The pres's letter notes that this former-boss feels the need to spend more time with his family.  I have to say, I'm relieved for the sake of my college that Former-Boss is being resigned, and hope that a much-needed process of reorganization and healing can begin. 

I've been throwing myself into mathematics.  I have two summer research students; we're spending afternoons together getting stuck, and unstuck, and stuck again.  It is delightful.  I very much like these two students, who are incredibly bright and who are not used to having so much difficulty figuring out answers to math problems, so I get to gleefully share that we're doing real math now, and they're seeing what true research is like.  It's like this: not knowing the answers or how to get the answers and sometimes not even what the questions are, but trying to figure something out anyway.  

Inkling has just passed the one-year mark at her job (her boss called it her "yarniversary"), and there is much happiness about how that particular position has worked out for all involved.  

So it looks like that makes three of us doing things we love.  (Four, if you count Prewash, who still loves her volunteer work overseeing food-removal from plates and serving bowls before they head into the dishwasher). 

And that's several ways in which our family continues to be wealthy in our adventures.  May you and yours be similarly prosperous.

1 comment:

  1. I completely missed your update about the resignation of your Associate Deanship, the last time I saw mention of it was when you were still settling into the groove. I hope that the change has been all positive for you.

    - Revanche

    ReplyDelete

Update, somewhere in January

By now, I'm kind of losing track of which day is which . . . ironic, because of spending so much time on and off of train tracks.  So I&...