Thursday, June 2, 2022

Four things I lost (and found again)

My keys

  • These, I lost while taking a young friend to the dog park and playground with Prewash.  I didn't want to bring my whole planner bag with me, so I carried my keys in my back pocket, or my hand, or . . . ?  At some point, I stopped carrying them, apparently.   What made this extra worrisome is that I'd been loaned the keys to a theater, and I was in charge of a cast that was getting ready to rehearse.
  • I never, never lose my keys. So this felt like a terrible blow to my ego, striking at the very core of my identity.
  • This is why I should always carry my planner bag. Because then, I would've known the minute my keys went missing.
  • Fortunately, a dog walker found the keys and turned them into our public safety office, so I got them back after only three hours of fretting.

My water bottle

  • Actually, not so much "lost" as left behind on a park bench when I went outside to read. Normally, I keep my water bottle in a special pocket in my planner bag.
  • As soon as I got back to my planner bag, I realized the water bottle was missing. See note above about why I should always carry my planner bag with me.  
  • Fortunately, when I went back to the bench, my water bottle was still there.
My mathematical notes from last summer
  • I looked through my filing cabinets in my office at old Main, and couldn't find them.
  • I looked through my shelves at home and couldn't find them.
  • Then I looked on my bookshelf with my research box in Old Main. Turns out my notes, in a file folder, were between those books. Makes sense, I guess.

A box of blank mailing labels, for the printer

  • Eventually, I found these in the drawer underneath the parchment paper I used for my planners. I'm not sure why I had these in that particular drawer instead of in the "supplies" set a file drawers where I usually keep them. 
  • I think it has something to do with moving everything out of my math office, and then having to rearrange all of the filing cabinets from the previous owners in my Dean's office.
  • I'm extra nervous about next year, because I will soon have three offices: one at home, one in Old Main, and one in the dorms. I'm really going to have to develop a system for knowing where everything is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Update, somewhere in January

By now, I'm kind of losing track of which day is which . . . ironic, because of spending so much time on and off of train tracks.  So I&...