Saturday, April 2, 2022

High, low, hope

Sometimes with my advisees or my students, I start our gatherings asking people to share "a high, a low, and a hope".  That seems appropriate for our week here in Enoughsville.  

The "low" -- let's just get this over with -- is that today was the memorial service for my friend who passed away last December.  It was a beautiful gathering, with wonderful stories, including a video of his 6-year-old son describing how his dad taught him to ride a bike and to understand numbers.  I was the last speaker, and I've been carrying this eulogy with me, in my planner bag and in my mind and in my bones and muscles, for  a few weeks now.  It has been a momentous and terrible task, to have the last word in a ceremony that I keep feeling is just all wrong; I don't want to say good-bye to my friend.  I just want him back.  I am, frankly, a bit drained.   

So, that's that.  

And yet, there are beautiful things happening, and I've had many moments of joy as well.   So, for a "high" I'll list several: My kiddoes, the Snoughlings, keep delighting me with their creativity and joy.  

  • Inkling, progressing into the second round of Sock Madness, gifted me a gorgeous pair of black socks with gold, glittery beads.  (I didn't take a photo, and now they're in the wash, so you'll just have to believe me that they're amazing).  
  • Kinderling hosted the coolest (like wow, so cool!) Science-themed birthday party for a group of 7-year-olds that I've ever seen.  A dozen+ kids with protective eye gear seeing balloons expand from gasses formed by vinegar and baking soda!  Graduated beakers that frothed from hydrogen peroxide/yeast mixtures!  Mini lava-lamps made from water, oil, and antacid pills!  There was so much ooh-ing and ahh-ing.  I was super impressed.
  • Nelson is doing great with the steps of his program, and he was really excited about progressing from step 3 to step 4.  I'm keeping my eyes and ears peeled for that.  Go, Nelson!
  • Thanks to Gosling, I have new art on my wall, in a formerly-blank space that was just calling out "fill me up!". 


Cows, in colors that are very, very me.
Love 'em!

And as for a "hope", I'll just plunk in there that the antibiotics seem to be doing their magic on my dog.  So the hope is that Prewash's lab tests come back confirming that what we're seeing in her improved energy and appetite seems to indicate.
"How ya feeling, Prewash?"

"Things are looking up, thanks!"

Let's add one extra "high", for good measure.  OfSnough has been working with a volunteer group to get medical supplies to Ukraine.   His group was featured briefly on MSNBC (they filmed right before he showed, so he wasn't on TV himself).  


It is good to see people serving something bigger than themselves.

And that's the news from our family, which continues to be wealthy in our adventures.  May you and yours stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Update, somewhere in January

By now, I'm kind of losing track of which day is which . . . ironic, because of spending so much time on and off of train tracks.  So I&...