Thursday, December 30, 2021

Handbook revisions in color [nerdiness alert]

One of my very exciting [ <-- sarcasm] tasks in my newish job is to revise a section of the faculty handbook.  The section I'm working on is about a dozen pages long, and it's been the bane of the previous two Associate Deans in my position, so this thing is, what?, eight or ten years overdue for an overhaul.  

Even if the Faculty [hang-me-now] Handbook is not a thrill a minute, I do love to organize stuff, so there are parts of the task that I actually really get into.  Here is one such mini-happiness: adding color. 

For context, usually when we revise the FH, we parade the whole shebang before the assembled faculty with old text in strikethrough and new text in bold.  This format, I think, is not particularly easy to read, especially if it goes on for a while.  To wit, imagine reading pages of this:

Give us this day our daily bread.  And forgive us our debts trespasses, as we also have forgiven our debtors forgive those who trespass against us. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from eagles evil

That gives me headaches; ugh.

What I've been doing instead is preparing side-by-side versions:  before and after.  The text I remove is in pink (think "red stoplight"), and the text I insert is in green ("let's go!").  So the before/after reads like this.

Sometimes, if I just move a sentence from one place to another, I highlight it both places in yellow.  As I work my way through the revisions, I get these multicolored documents that are kind of fun to look at.  

I was worried that I would be the only one who'd like this format, so I ran a draft by a very nerdy and legalistic group of professors who excel in being nitpicky. Would they think this looked too much like Kindergarten play time?  Would they make me go back to strikethrough bold?  But they unanimously told me they find this format easier to read than the normal way, so I'm plunging forward in full color. Whoop!

So, that's my little bit of sunshine and rainbows, in the midst of words and rules and words about rules and rules about words.  

2 comments:

  1. Could you add a small troupe of unicorns to your sunshine and rainbows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeedy! With one peacock crashing the party: 🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦚🦄

      Delete

Update, somewhere in January

By now, I'm kind of losing track of which day is which . . . ironic, because of spending so much time on and off of train tracks.  So I&...